About Mid-Coast Santa Gertrudis
Chartered in 1954, the Mid-Coast Santa Gertrudis affiliate is one of the most active organizations within Santa Gertrudis Breeders International (SGBI) with over 100 active members. Since the inception, members have dedicated themselves to enhancing and promoting the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle, as well as supporting this great organization.
The major emphasis of the Mid-Coast affiliate is to promote improved breeding, production, and the sale of Santa Gertrudis cattle. In addition to sponsoring two annual sales – the International Super Sale held during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in the spring and the Cattleman’s Opportunity Sale held in late summer/early fall, Mid-Coast annually hosts The Aisle Party prior to the International Super Sale. To enhance communication and education among the members, a quarterly newsletter, The Cattle Rattle, is published along with hosting an annual membership meeting and seasonal field days.
Mid-Coasts’ junior program is a top priority. With the assistance of a youth advisor, the Mid-Coast Board sponsors a Jr. Heifer Show in the spring as a warm-up for the annual National Junior Santa Gertrudis Heifer Show, as well as providing buckles and premium money during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Jr. Santa Gertrudis Show. The affiliate’s junior membership annually elects junior officers, a queen and a princess at the spring event. They publish their news in the Cattle Rattle and online; and organize fundraisers for member-based activities. In addition, educational scholarships are provided annually to deserving junior members.
Santa Gertrudis cattle were developed in Texas by the King Ranch. This beautiful red cattle breed combines beef production and Texas hardiness into one dynamic package for serious cattle ranchers. For more information regarding the history of the breed, click here.
- March 2, 2018 – 2018 International Super Sale – NRG Center, Houston, TX
- March 2, 2018 – Santa Gertrudis Foundation Fundraiser – NRG Center, Houston, TX
- March 3, 2018 – HLSR Open Santa Gertrudis Show
- March 10, 2018 – HLSR Jr. Santa Gertrudis Show
- March 26, 2018 – Mid-Coast Scholarship Application Postmark Deadline
- March 30, 2018 – Norval & Anna Sells Show Entries Postmark Deadline
- April 28, 2018 – Norval & Anna Sells Mid-Coast Show – Grimes Co. Fairgrounds, Navasota, TX
- June 23-30, 2018 – NJSGHS, Texarkana, AR